First up, I made the Rebecca bag from Carry With Style… published by Indygo Junction. A friend of mine asked me to make a bag for her, so I’ll be parting with it tomorrow. I’m going to be sad to lose it – I’ve become quite attached to it! She chose the colors and I raided my stash looking for the perfect fabrics. I came up with lovely brown tooled suede (you may recognize it – it worked up beautifully into a handkerchief sachet not too long ago) and deep blue stretch twill. The fabric rose and special pintucked interior pockets are my own inventions.
This is my first experiment with bold topstitching. I usually choose a thread that blends in well with the fabric. Previously, I haven’t been completely confident in my topstitching skills, and matching thread helps hide mistakes! This time, I went all out and used a double thread and the longest stitch on my machine for the contrast topstiching. I’m so happy with the result. Make sure you click through the photo and see the detail shots on my Flickr page.
For the interior pockets, I did a bit of inventing. I’ve been making bags for about 5 years now and have come to the conclusion that all handmade bags should have interior pockets of some kind. Even if they are only just to hold keys, the pockets should be there. Following that idea, I started looking at the shape of the bag for inspiration on the pocket style.
For the single small pocket: I traced the curve of the top of the bag pattern onto a sheet of paper and sketched a U to complete the shape. Then, I folded and pinned the little tucks, making sure they were evenly spaced along the curve. I measured 2″ down from the top of each tuck and marked it with a pin. Next, I sewed the tucks 1/8″ away from the fold and down to the pin at 2″. I pressed them in place and ironed out the pocket. Then, I cut a backing piece using the front piece as a template. I sewed these two pieces right sides together, leaving a 3″ gap at the bottom between the corner curves. I turned it right-side out and pressed. All that was left was to topstitch the pocket in place on the lining piece.
I used my machine for sewing the tabs together before I turned them right side out. But, for attaching the tabs to the shirt, I hand sewed everything. It didn’t take long at all. I’m thrilled with the result.
Finally, I added some gathered frills to a blouse I made last summer, (Simplicity New Look 6945) but have never worn. The neckline was lower than I liked, so I bought some eyelet trim and gathered it around the neckline to raise it up. (Before photo on my Flickr page)
I haven’t been this productive in a while. For the past week, my head has been swimming in moles, masses and polyatomic ions, so I haven’t felt much like sewing. I had a bit of a break this weekend because tomorrow starts my last week of Chemistry, with the final exam on Thursday. Going to have to do some massive studying, but it’ll be all done soon! Hope you all had a lovely weekend – productive or otherwise!