Darling Veronica is finally finished. There is also a small matching zip-top purse for maximum organizational purposes. Just for the record, Veronica comes from this book.I had a bit of a hard time trying to come up with the proper embellishment for the front of each bag. The original instructions called for a butterfly to be cut from leather and attached with vintage buttons, but somehow, butterflies just didn’t seem right for this bag. I was thinking of a large velvet ribbon to echo the velvet already present, but that seemed slightly impractical and a tad boring. In the end, I settled for 4 inch wide strips of the bag fabric (Laura Ashley, btw), top stitched 1/2 inch from the edge and fringed (pulling out the long horizontal fibers of the fabric and leaving the short vertical ones). I folded these strips in half and then folded gathers into it and pressed it. For the large bag, I covered the largest button I had on hand and sewed it on top of the fan. For the small bag, I used an opaque, pearl-look button to secure the mini fan.
I had a lot of fun making Veronica and I hope my friend enjoys showing off with her!
Look for a Sweater Refashion a lá Barbara Stanwyck soon!
Happy New Year to everyone!